Subject: Re: Autotracers
From: Darren Metcalfe <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: LightWave <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 21:12:42 -0700 (PDT)

On 4 Aug 1994, John Foust - Syndesis Corporation wrote:

> Actually, there are many, many good autotracers for the PC and Mac.  
> The best ones are incorporated in or bundled with illustration
> packages.  Adobe Illustrator often includes a tracer called
> Streamline, and I think Corel has both an intrinsic trace operator as
> well as a standalone tracing program.  (I worked on the autotracer in
> SPC's Harvard Draw and Harvard F/X for Windows.)  

---Lots of informative stuff deleted---

This is how we've gotten around the raster to poly snakepit:

1. Throw Pixel3D in the trash. ;)

2. Use Streamline to trace and Illustrator to clean up.

3. Import the resulting Illustrator eps files into Typesmith.

4. Save the files as a Postscript font.

5. Use LW's text importer.

Works most of the time if you've been careful in Illustrator to make the 
drawings as clean as possible.

Darren Metcalfe                               i-media corporation
[email-masked]       Interactive, Animation, Post-Production
 "You can have a lot of fun with people mired in computer nuance,
   watch this, has anybody seen the mouse for my Amiga?" - Joel